July 16, 2008

The incentive of regret and avoiding it

I feel like I have a new approach to making decisions. Often, decisions seem straightforward and calculated to be something that works toward good results as well provides immediate satisfaction to some extent. Well, I have recently made decisions to take on short-term commitments in order to avoid feeling the regret of not making those decisions. That is, I have done things that I felt I did not want to do, but I thought they would make me a better person and provide an opportunity that later I would regret passing up, especially because they may have made me into the person I needed to be. This kind of makes sense, but it has struck me as a weird way of making decisions. Specifically, they were things I did in law school that I didn't have to do. Now I'm wondering if I'll take any jobs or other commitments that I'm not excited about for the sake of experience.

No comments: